Friday, March 1, 2013

Macaron ice cream sandwiches at MILK

"Grasshopper" [mint chip] macaron ice cream sandwich 

Red velvet macaron ice cream sandwich

Place: MILK
          7290 Beverly Boulevard
          Los Angeles, CA 90036

Genre: Ice cream parlor/bakery

Hit or miss? Hit!

My opinion:
If it was not already clear, I can never get enough of macarons/ice cream...so what better way to satisfy my cravings than with a combination of the two, right? I'm going to be honest, while I was initially excited to see this ingenious creation, I was also relatively skeptical, thinking the combination would be too sweet or that the macarons wouldn't true to the classic macaron texture. I got myself the grasshopper ice cream sandwich and my friend got the red velvet one. I absolutely love the mint and chocolate paring, so I didn't even have to think twice about the other flavors. [Keep in mind that their other flavors are grasshopper, red velvet, vanilla, blueberry, thai iced tea, banana dulce de leche, salted caramel, and cookies and cream.] The macarons were perfectly soft for an ice cream sandwich; however, the ice cream was definitely overpowering in that you couldn't really tell that it was a macaron ice cream sandwich. It just tasted like a "regular"ice cream sandwich. There wasn't really a balance between the soft and crisp macaron outer shells and the smooth and creamy ice cream, nor was there a distinct flavor difference between the two. The two flavors just didn't stand out in equilibrium. The ice cream's flavor definitely overpowered that of the shells. That doesn't mean that the sandwich itself wasn't good. Don't get me wrong, it was delicious and perfect on a hot day like it was earlier. I'm just saying that it was more "ice cream-y" than it was "macaron-y" rather than being somewhere in the middle. MILK an ice cream parlor you can't miss! If you do go, you have to try one of their macaron ice cream sandwiches!!

No comments:

Post a Comment