Thursday, April 5, 2012

Penne at Fig and Olive

Penne Funghi Tartufo

Assorted Crostini: Buratta, tomatoes and pesto; crushed tomatoes and olive oil; prosciuto and fig (not pescetarian) 


"Dessert Crostini" shortbread cookies w/ mascarpone, micro basil, strawberries and balsamic reduction

Bread and various olive oils


Restaurant: Fig and Olive

Info: 8490 Melrose Place
         Los Angeles, CA 90069
         (310) 856-8699

$$$

Hit or a Miss? Hit!

Genre: Mediterranean (Spanish, Southern French and Italian), centered around the use of diverse olive oils

Ambiance:
Absolutely stunning. Huge venue shed with a lot of natural lighting. Very nice place for lunch. There are a few olive trees as well as rosemary plants around the restaurant. Just a beautiful set up. It was not too noisy and the large space gave way to an enjoyable experience even at a busy time of day.

Must have dish: Penne Funghi Tartufo
-cremini and black trumpet mushrooms, parmesan, parsley, scallion and white truffle oil

My opinion:
This pasta was just to die for. I'm quite fond of truffles so when I saw this on the menu, I knew I had to order it. The pasta itself was exquisite. When I took my first bite the pasta was ever so crispy, yet the initial "crunch" was followed by a soft interior that really absorbed and locked in the truffle flavor. I am picky about truffles in that too much truffle is overpowering. This dish really balanced the sharpness of the parmesan and the subtle distinct flavor of the truffle oil. I'm a HUGE fan of this pasta. The parsley and scallions were a nice accent to the pasta and really finished it off. The parsley helped subdue the sharp/salty parmesan and just made everything combine so nicely. My only complaint was that the truffle oil, while not overpowering in terms of flavor, was used in excess. At the bottom of my plate was a pool of the truffle oil, which to me was a bit unsettling. All in all this was a dish you couldn't miss despite the abundance of truffle oil. Given my positive experience at Fig and Olive, I can't wait to go back to try something new.

No comments:

Post a Comment