Monday, February 18, 2013

Tacos at Blue Plate Taco

Guacamole, salsa, pico de gallo and chips

Shrimp tacos with beans

Place: Blue Plate Taco
          1515 Ocean Avenue
          Santa Monica, CA 90401

Genre: Mexican

$$$

Hit or a Miss? Hit!

My opinion:
I'm not very fond of Mexican food (I like it, but I'm pretty picky about it), but I'd have to say I had some of the best tacos I've ever had at Blue Plate Taco. I only have a picture of the shrimp taco, but I've had their vegetarian tacos and fish tacos. All three are absolutely delicious. Which one is the best? It's really hard to say. You honestly can't go wrong. The guacamole was perfect: not too salty and very fresh. The same could be said about the salsa and pico de gallo. My only qualm was that the chips were pretty salted, so they sort of diluted the traditionally bold and natural flavors of the guacamole, pico de gallo and salsa. Now for the tacos: the shrimp tacos were incredible. The shrimp was perfectly cooked. Sometimes you run into over cooked shrimp, which is always too tough and looses its distinct flavor. So even with the cilantro creme, the they stay true to the natural flavor of the shrimp. The cilantro creme was well done, and I loved the addition of the jicama. Jicama, in my opinion, is rather underrated. It definitely added crispness and freshness to "shrimp taco experience." Aside from the superb meal, Blue Plate Taco is ten times better because you feel the cool beach breeze and get a pretty view of the ocean. 

No comments:

Post a Comment