Friday, January 4, 2013

Ice cream at Sprinkles Ice Cream

Over the summer I went out on a mission to find some of the greatest "cool down treats" [i.e. ice cream, froyo, juices, smoothies etc.] so you'll see a few more treats than dishes for a few posts.

 Red velvet ice cream


Place: Sprinkles Ice Cream
          9631 South Santa Monica Boulevard
          Beverly Hills, CA 90210

Genre: Ice Cream

$$ (relative to most ice cream places)

Hit or a Miss? Miss

Featured Flavor: Red Vevlet

My opinion:
I came to Sprinkles with some pretty high expectations. Though I'm not quite a fan of their cupcakes, only because they are so dense, I thought their ice cream would be just as good and if not better than that of Sweet Rose Creamery. I was incorrect. Don't get me wrong, the ice cream was fine, just not better than Sweet Rose ice cream. To start off the "red velvet ice cream" consists of a sweet cream ice cream base. I say this because it isn't vanilla, just a sweet cream sort of flavor. Then there are the chunks of Sprinkles' red velvet cupcake. The cake pieces themselves are good, but what I wasn't quite fond of was that the frosting was included. I don't know, maybe it's just me, but ice cream and cream cheese frosting just don't mesh. Their consistencies are just too different: a smooth, creamy ice cream and a (slightly) grainier and heavy frosting. Secondly, the cream cheese flavor and sweet cream flavor didn't exactly compliment each other to my liking. All together it was a pretty heavy ice cream. The hype didn't really improve my experience. That said, it wasn't terrible. I'd say that it was "just good." Another thing that added to its mediocrity would be the wait...seriously you'd expect the ice cream to be fantastic if you're waiting for almost an hour. (but maybe it's just the "Sprinkles" name that attracts so many customers). The service is unreasonably slow. The line is ALWAYS out the door. Anyway, I'd say Sprinkles ice cream is a "one time only" kind of thing. Go for the "experience" if you want, but there are better places to get ice cream in LA.

No comments:

Post a Comment